Three people were found dead in the city and three others were injured. Here’s what we know so far.
Via Faiza Saqib, news reporter
Tuesday 13 June 2023 15:19, UK
Police have declared a “major incident” in Nottingham after three people were found dead.
Three others are in hospital after someone tried to run them over with a truck, which police believe is related incident.
The injured are currently being treated at the hospital, including one in critical condition.
Here’s what we know so far.
Follow live updates on ‘major incident’ in Nottingham
Two people were found dead on the street in Ilkeston Road, Nottingham, just after 4am on Tuesday.
Officers were then called to Milton Street just over a mile away, where a truck attempted to run over three people police believe was a related incident. The injured are currently being treated at the hospital.
A third man was found dead on nearby Magdala Road.
Police arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of murder and he remains in custody.
Who are the victims?
The University of Nottingham said two of the three people killed were students.
“We are shocked and devastated by this news and our thoughts go out to those affected, their families and friends,” the university said.
“We know this can cause suffering for staff and students in our community. Support is available through our welfare and support services to anyone in our community. us who might need it.”
What did the police say?
Nottinghamshire Police said they would keep an “open mind” about the motive for the attack.
The incident is not currently being considered terrorism-related and police believe no one else was involved.
Police Chief Kate Meynell said: “We are keeping an open mind as we investigate the circumstances surrounding these incidents and are working alongside Terrorism Police to verify the facts – as we usually do. do in situations like this.”
“We have a man in custody on suspicion of murder. At the moment, we don’t believe there is anyone else involved in this incident.”
Earlier, Ms Meynell said: “This is a horrifying and tragic incident that has claimed the lives of three people.
“We believe these three incidents are all related and we have arrested a man.
“This investigation is in its early stages and a team of detectives are working to determine exactly what happened.
“We ask the public to be patient while investigations continue. At this time, some roads in the city will remain closed as this investigation proceeds.”
What did the witnesses say?
A witness told Sky News she saw a man and a woman being hit by a truck.
The witness was on her way to work and was near the Royal Theater in the city center when she saw the car hit two pedestrians.
She said: “There is a male and a female. Female, she can talk.
“She was in pain from impact with the ground. She was hit in the head but was still able to speak.
“Then the man also bore the full weight of the truck and he suffered a head injury but was conscious. He wasn’t unconscious, he was still conscious at that stage.”
Jo Tatum, who works for the police force chaplain, said she was “shocked” and described Nottingham as a “wonderful city”.
She added: “You always feel really safe on the street. It’s foreign to us in every way.
“I’m just aware that people are going to be really insecure about this.”
Prime Minister updated the ‘shocking’ case
Responding to the incident, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said: “I would like to thank the police and emergency services for their continuous response to the shocking incident in Nottingham this morning. I am being updated on the developments.
“The police must be given time to do their job. My thoughts go out to the injured, the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives.”
Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick, an MP in Nottinghamshire, tweeted: “I am extremely grateful to @nottspolice and all those who responded to the horrific attack earlier today in Nottingham. All of us. in Nottinghamshire share the same sense of shock.
“My thoughts and prayers go out to those injured, and to the families and friends of those killed.”
This is a limited version of the story so unfortunately this content is not available.
Open the full version
Speaking at an event in London, Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer said: “The information is still coming out but there are just reports that three people have been killed so I’m sure I’ll speak on behalf of myself. everyone in this room as we say we will want to send our thoughts to all those affected and the emergency services that are responding to this as we speak.”
Interior Minister Suella Braverman said she was “shocked and saddened” by the deaths and was receiving regular updates from police.
Road closures and travel delays
The Nottingham Express Transit tram network said it had suspended all services due to “major police incidents around the city and suburbs”.
Nottinghamshire Police said officers and other emergency services were at a number of locations, including the Maid Marian Way junction of Parliament Street.
The roads that have been closed include:
• Ilkeston Road
• Milton Street
• Maples Street
• Woodborough Road, from the intersection with Magdala Road into the city.
Police have advised residents to avoid these areas as they are expected to be closed for a while.