The United Nations organization has suspended its programs in the country after three members of its team were killed in riots that have entered their third week.
Via Tom Gillespie, news reporter @TomGillespie1
Monday, May 1, 2023 11:14, UK
The World Food Program (WFP) will continue to operate in Sudan after they were suspended following the deaths of three members of their team during the conflict.
The UN’s chief executive officer, Cindy McCain, said the organization was “rapidly resuming our programs to provide the life-saving assistance that so many people desperately need right now.” .
WFP, which provides food assistance around the world, said on April 16 that it has temporarily halted all operations in the country after three of its employees were killed in violence between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Force (RSF) a day earlier.
Meanwhile, British citizens try to flee sudan It took until noon to get to an airport to check in for an additional UK flight out of the conflict zone as rescue efforts shifted to the east of the country.
The UK Foreign Office said members of the military were working around the clock to support UK citizens and others trying to escape the war-torn country amid a difficult ceasefire.
Some 2,122 people were evacuated on 23 flights from Wadi Saeedna airport near the capital Khartoum, but more than 1,000 British passport holders may remain.
The UK Government announced on Friday that deactivated from the site on Saturday as the armistice between the country’s warring generals seemed to begin to break down.
UK nationals are currently being advised to head to Port Sudan, where an additional flight will take off on Monday as the warring sides agree to extend the fragile ceasefire for another 72 hours.
To check in for the trip, people are encouraged to arrive at the city’s international airport before noon local time.
It is understood that the flight from Port Sudan is exceptional and will repatriate a limited number of British nationals remaining in the country wishing to leave.
Armed forces and border force personnel assisted the State Department in the evacuation mission, with HMS Lancaster and RAF being redirected to the area.
The UK government has agreed to send NHS doctors without UK passports on final journeys amid criticism over the range of evacuation eligibility criteria.
Flights were previously limited to British citizens and their immediate families.
The planes landed in Cyprus, which activated a humanitarian rescue mechanism to evacuate civilians in a third country, before arriving in the UK a few hours later.
The additional evacuation of UK nationals comes as fighting could be heard in Khartoum early on Monday as the violence entered its third week.
Sudan’s Health Ministry says at least 528 people have been killed and 4,599 injured since a long simmering power struggle between the Sudanese army and the RSF erupted into conflict on April 15.
The United Nations has reported a similar number of deaths but believes the actual number is much higher.
Read more about the Sudanese conflict:
UN special envoy to Sudan defends delayed response
Husband reunited with pregnant wife in UK
Inside the UK’s new base of operations in Sudan
Meanwhile, the United Nations has warned of a humanitarian “breaking point” as rival military forces accuse each other of violating a now-extended ceasefire.
The army and RSF worked together to overthrow Sudan’s civilian government in a coup in October 2021 but are now stuck in a power struggle that has derailed the transition to Sudan. internationally supported democracy.
Fighting between the two sides has plunged Sudan into a civil war and sent tens of thousands of people fleeing to neighboring countries.
It also exacerbates the humanitarian crisis in Sudan, where a third of the population depends on some form
Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator at the United Nations.
In Khartoum, the army is battling RSF forces entrenched in residential areas.
So far, skirmishes have seen more nimble RSF forces spread out across the city as better equipped troops attempt to target them primarily using skirmishes. air strikes from drones and fighter planes.
This is a limited version of the story so unfortunately this content is not available.
Open the full version
Army leader General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has said he will never sit down with the head of the RSF, General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, also known as Hemedti, who said he would only talk after the army stop the war.