HomeNews UKSwindon shooting: Man in custody after boy, 17, shot in the head

Swindon shooting: Man in custody after boy, 17, shot in the head

  • By Clara Bullock & Sammy Jenkins
  • BBC News

image captions,

Teenager shot at Odstock Road in Penhhill at around 00:30 BST

Police said two men were arrested after a teenager was shot in the head.

A 17-year-old suffered a potentially life-changing injury in Odstock Road, Penhill, Swindon, at around 00:30 BST.

A 27-year-old man, arrested on suspicion of causing serious bodily harm and possession of a firearm, remains in police custody.

A 42-year-old man arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life has been released.

The teenager was taken to hospital by air ambulance after Wiltshire Police said they believe it was a targeted attack.

The force added that there was no threat to the public.

Supt Phil Staynings urged the public to “be brave” and get in touch with any information, including checking CCTV, dashcam or doorbell cameras overnight from April 23-24.

image captions,

The boy was taken by helicopter to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford

Wiltshire Police Det Ch Insp Charlotte Tucker said: “This attack left a young man critically injured and he is currently being treated at hospital.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

Wiltshire Air Ambulance confirmed they were called to Swindon at 00:26 BST and took the patient to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

‘Double our efforts’

Wiltshire Police and crime commissioner, Philip Wilkinson, said while he understood the “deep concern and shock” residents may feel, he wanted to “reassure them” that there was no threat any to the public.

“However, we must also note that this is the second incident involving firearms in a short period of time, and we need to redouble our efforts to address the root cause of the problem before it gets out of hand. control,” he said.

Mr Wilkinson added: “Obviously, my thoughts go out to the injured boy and his family and it’s important that we think of them all the time.”

Wiltshire Police said the 42-year-old man was released without further action.


latest articles

explore more